1) I’m interested in an ECVO residency training program (RTP) in veterinary ophthalmology. What are the requirements/qualifications?
Please look on the ECVO website for the Constitution & Bylaws, Article 4, Section 2.
The requirements are:
- A veterinary degree from an *EAEVE-approved veterinary school, unless exempted from this obligation by the Credentials Committee (*European Association of Veterinary Establishments for Education, www.eaeve.org)
- A license to practise veterinary medicine and surgery in the European Union, unless exempted from this obligation by the Credentials Committee
- Completion of an internship (minimum of one year) or its equivalent (at the discretion of the Credentials Committee) prior to the start of the residency training program (RTP) (for example, a minimum of two years employed in a private clinic where all common diseases are diagnosed/treated)
- Candidates need to have a satisfactory moral and ethical standing in the profession
2) Where can I do a residency training program (RTP) in veterinary ophthalmology?
Candidates interested in applying for an ECVO residency training program should contact ECVO Diplomates. A list of ECVO Diplomates is available on the ECVO website.
3) I’m planning to do a residency training program (RTP) – how do I get started?
Once you have found a supervising Diplomate who intends to apply for an RTP for you, please send your curriculum vitae (CV) and details of your internship, or equivalent training, to the Credentials Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) for verification. Use word or PDF format only. If and when you receive approval from the Credentials Committee, you should inform the supervising Diplomate who can then proceed with the RTP application. The RTP application is sent by the Diplomate to the Education and Residency Committee (ERC).
4) I’m following a Regular/Alternative Residency Training Program (RRTP/ARTP). Some changes to my status will occur during the program (for example, pregnancy, maternity/paternity leave, sickness, status of employment etc). What do I have to do?
Please contact the Education and Residency Committee (ERC) promptly to discuss modifications that may be necessary to the program.
5) What are the presentation requirements for application to take the ECVO examination?
Two presentations at ECVO or ACVO scientific meetings are required. You must present a minimum of one oral presentation and one poster presentation OR two oral presentations. The work presented should originate from studies conducted during the course of the RTP; see also the Information Brochure.
6) I’ve (nearly) finished my residency training program (RTP) and I’m planning to apply for the next ECVO examination. What are the deadlines for submission of forms and applications?
1st August: request for letter of approval from the Education and Residency Committee (ERC). Complete documents need to be sent to the ERC.
1st September: send complete documents to the Credentials Committee. Use Word or PDF format only.
Payment of credentials fee (€ 150) to treasurer (ECVO bank account details are on the website).
1st December: application for the next qualifying examination must be received by Secretary.
Payment of examination fee to Treasurer. Examination fees and ECVO bank account details are on the website.
All the relevant information for the above steps can be downloaded from the website (Residents/Application/Regular Route or Alternative Way).
7) Can I apply to the ERC by the 1st August deadline if I have not yet completed my RTP?
Residents that are to finish their RTP before 1st December can send their last annual report and end of RTP form to the ERC by the 1st August deadline. Note however that the ERC will approve the RTP as being fully completed when all requirements listed on the Information Brochure are met. If all requirements have been met by the 1st August deadline but the end of RTP date is after 1st August, then a provisional end of RTP will be provided until the resident has completed the entire period of training.
8) I’ve received the letter of approval of completion of the residency training program (RTP) from the Education and Residency Committee (ERC). What do I do now?
Please submit your credentials application to the Credentials Committee, see above.
All the relevant information can be downloaded from the website (Residents/Application/Regular Route or Alternative Way).
9) I’ve received the letter of approval for my credentials from the Credentials Committee (CC). What do I do now?
If you would like to sit the next ECVO examination, please submit form B to the Secretary and the appropriate examination fee to the Treasurer by 1st December.
Form B, details of the examination fees and payment details can be downloaded from the website (Residents/Application/Regular Route or Alternative Way).
10) I’ve received a letter from the Education & Residency Committee (ERC) informing me that my residency forms have not been approved. Can I appeal against this decision?
Yes. Refer to Article 9 (Appeal Against Adverse Decisions) in the Constitution & Bylaws on the website for more information on the procedure to be followed if you feel that an adverse decision is not justified.